[pct-l] Re; Bigfoot

Michael S michaels at skepticalraptor.com
Thu Feb 2 14:38:16 CST 2012

Come on people, use science.  First of all, real science examines evidence and forms a hypothesis.  Bigfoot hunters have a hypothesis, and they try to find the evidence, without being objective and seeing what else the evidence might suggest.  You know, like finding footprints, and discovering that they don't meet any physiological gate, because the feet don't bend correctly.

Since it's a logical fallacy to attempt to prove the negative (like someone saying that there's a teapot floating around the dark side of the moon...impossible to disprove, but of course, they can't prove it either).  As Carl Sagan once said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."   So let's just examine what would be required for me to stop being a skeptic:

There is NO evidence of hominid species in the Americas prior to the invasions of Homo sapiens, approximately 13-50 thousand years ago.  If there were a giant hominid (or other hominid like species) in the area, we would have found fossils, since the assumption is that it's not extinct (at least those making those extraordinary claims).
A viable breeding population in the northwest (from say northern California to British Columbia) would need to number in the 5-10 thousand range, unless they are apex predators, then it could be somewhat less.  Anything less, given the amount of space and how ALL hominids interact socially, anything lower than that would mean a non-breeding population, and none would exist anyways.
Modern European settlement of the area (where populations skyrocketed) occurred around 150 years ago, so there should be a lot more interaction than even the mythmakers and scammers are stating.
Where are the dead ones?  Though the area is wild, there are still people running around.  PCT thruhikers should stumble upon some evidence over the years.
Google earth can pinpoint my car parked in the driveway.  The military has better satellites than that, and somewhere, someone would have seen something.
Where is the evidence that is incontrovertible?  It's like what Neil deGrasse Tyson says about alien visitors–why haven't they accidentally left a communicator?  A toilet?  A lost glove?  Because they're not.

Even if they are highly intelligent apes, they can't hide their fossils and other evidence.  They just don't exist, but as opposed to the sasquatch "believers", I'm open-minded to real evidence.  It is more closeminded to ignore evidence and accept a myth.

Michael
michaels at skepticalraptor.com
http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php