[pct-l] Court Rules that SEKI NP violated Wilderness Act!

Greg Hummel bighummel at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 15:43:04 CST 2012

Woo whoo! Score another tantanic victory for the High Sierras Hiker's Association!
In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Richard Seeborg held that Sequoia and Kings Canyon officials failed to conduct the requisite studies into the commercial need for pack trips in the two parks. Specifically, the judge noted in his ruling late last month, the Park Service must examine how commercial backcountry uses impact the landscape and "balance ... their potential consequences with the effects of preexisting levels of commercial activity."

"The Park Service has ignored and evaded the requirements of the Wilderness Act for decades," said Peter Browning, president of the High Sierra Hikers Association. "We hope that this court decision will prompt the Park Service to follow the law by limiting stock use and commercial services in our national parks to those that are truly necessary and not harmful to park resources."

Greg Hummel

“Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks in the world”
								― Forest Gump