[pct-l] backcountry hygiene

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Feb 7 13:16:33 CST 2012

A doctor friend said that it is important that children play in the dirt
because they take in microbes that their immune system has to respond
to.  This response strengthens the immune system and is a kind of
vaccination against many different things that make us sick - or so I
understood him.  He laughed at the modern suburbanites need to protect
his or her child from dirt.  This only sets them up for colds, etc.,
later in life.

While I don't go so far as to "eat dirt" when hiking, I certainly don't
worry about being dirty.  Sweaty - yes - that's sometimes uncomfortable
when sleeping.  I certainly have not been acosted by hikers wanting to
shake my hand.  A casual "Hey," a raising of the eyebrows, and openness
to whatever the other wants to say is good enough...  Hygiene is like
driving, it is others that I watch out for.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD