[pct-l] Playing in dirt

Michael S michaels at skepticalraptor.com
Wed Feb 8 14:31:06 CST 2012

You should fire your doctor, and write a letter of complaint to your state's Board of Medicine.  This is a naturalistic fallacy that sets up an unrelated conclusion from a fact.  Yes, the immune system needs antigens to develop an immune response.  However, a one year old child develops nearly 1 billion immune responses in its early life, and sitting in dirt isn't going to add much to that.  The problem is, a sandbox or the soil may contain pathogenic organisms that enter through the digestive tract, where there are negligible immune responses.

However, like both of us have said, I'm not sure that shaking hands is going to be that bad.  The problem is that ingesting those pathogenic bacteria from someone else's intestinal tract is not so good.  I'd always figure out a way to cleanse my hands before eating or sticking my fingers into my mouth.

Michael
michaels at skepticalraptor.com
http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php