[pct-l] Handshakes

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:39:47 CST 2012

Michael wrote:

However, I'm going to have to say that being on the trail for weeks on end,
passing of bacteria or viruses is not going to be much of an issue, because
you'll touch your clothing (especially since you're just bringing one set to
go light), your own skin, rocks, dirt, water, etc.  Seriously, I wouldn't
worry about it.

The issue isn't *all* germs, but rather picking up new germs that aren't
already part of your balanced ecosystem of germs; in particular, new
fecal-borne germs that you don't already have.  Those are the ones that
upset the balance and make you sick.  I don't have references available at
the moment but my understanding is that a lot of illnesses that people blame
on bad water are actually caused by bad fecal matter picked up from other
people via handshakes, dipping into each other's gorp bags, etc.

Eric