[pct-l] Handshakes

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 06:40:20 CST 2012

(I am not medically qualified so this is my personal opinion/experience)

I tend to agree though wonder in the most important impacts are in earlier
life.  I think that modern living where constant adverts fom cleaning
product manufacturers keep encouraging parents to keep their houses 110%
clear of any bugs (at least in the UK we are continually bombarded on TV
with such ads).  Keep disinfecting every surface, keep kids away from
illness, etc.  When I was a child, and another kid in the area got ill,
parents would phone round and take their own kids to play with the ill
child (e.g. mumps, Measles, etc.).  We played outside (eating worms, etc.)
doing all sorts of things that would have modern day parents frantic and we
survived.  These days with such playing in mud, etc. discouraged and living
in sealed filtered disinfected environments as well as talking to friends
over computers from centrally heated rooms rather than going outside and
meeting face to face seems to correlate with big increased susceptibility
to catching bugs.

Whilst it is true that I've not been ill for years (in 40 years of working
I've had maybe 2 days off sick), that is just "anecdotal".  However, the
modern trend to over isolation logically seems to fit with a less capable
immune system.  Add to that that children learn from their parents and
where parents are obsessive about disinfection, that behaviour is likely to
be passed on the the children, etc.

Bugs mutate but still share similarities with the mutated form.  So, if you
are e.g. exposed to flu one year your immune system learns.  Next years flu
will be different but still share similarities so your previous exposure
helps fight the new form.  However, stay isolated for 5 years and the bug
has mutated quite a lot more and has fewer similarities so your immune
system is less capable.

However, I suspect that people with a love of countryside and hiking (and
thus most people hiking on the PCT) will not have had such disinfected
childhood so would probably be more capable of handling bugs (either
through fighting off before suffering, or faster recovery).

(Above is not advice but personal opinion)