[pct-l] Handshakes

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Thu Feb 9 16:31:14 CST 2012

We all know that classrooms are cesspools of viruses and bacteria.  For the
past 14 years I have been a classroom teacher in a public high school.  A
couple of rules I follow fastidiously are first, I do not touch students,
and second, whenever I touch their papers I wash my hands, 10x/day if
necessary.  There were always 2 half-gallon bottles of hand sanitizer in my
classroom for my use the the use of my students.  I keep my hands away from
my nose and mouth.  I did not allow gum chewing in my classroom because the
cold virus can live for a month in a moist gob of gum stuck to the underside
of a desk.  I retired last year, having never missed an hour or a day of
school for being sick.  Surgery is not being sick.  In fact and in truth,
the last time I missed time from work or school for being sick was in 1965.
Good luck to the Class of 2012.  Bob Riess, San Diego.

.