[pct-l] Sleeping bag selection. Ahhh!

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:46:59 CST 2012

I used a WM 20 deg UL bag.  It was a touch cold in the deserts, where we
were snowed on 3 times.  For the High Sierra which had a lot of snow in
2010 I supplemented with a pair of WM down pants.  The nice thing about the
down pants were their versatility in being able to use them as extra
clothes.  Mango got to wear them when he went for a swim with all his gear
and had nothing but wet clothes come evening in Evolution Valley.  But it
was great to be able to ditch them when things warmed up and not carry the
extra weight the rest of the summer.  My experience after the High Sierra
was that the 20 deg bag was way too warm and I never slept with it zipped
north of Ebbits Pass.  So carrying a 15 deg bag is a lot of extra you can't
get rid of.   Just like clothes you can layer your sleeping set up too so
as to have some ability to lighten the load when the really warm stuff is
no longer needed.  More than half the trip.

Just a thought.

Shroomer