[pct-l] HYOH

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:44:54 CST 2012

I have no problem with anyone hiking the PCT with a lot of gear or a
little gear or superfast or superslow or something in between. I DO
have a problem with hikers building campfires on the PCT when they are
not in compliance with the California Fire Permit we are all required
to sign and carry. The rules are very specific and with good reason.
IMHO, campfires should only be utilized on the trail when necessary to
forestall hypothermia, not to provide company or entertainment.

The stakes are really high. My hope is that all PCT hikers will pledge
to follow the permit guidelines to a tee. If you don't already have a
permit, you can easily download one from Mags' recently cited PCT site
or most of the number of great resources mentioned frequently on this
list.

Palomino
Jim Ostdick
San Juan Bautista, CA