[pct-l] HYOH

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Sat Feb 11 14:39:56 CST 2012

plus it was
in section A with a burn ban in effect(against the law). We were all
eating dinner and a gal starts the fire in the pit,a couple of us were
outraged,but were calmed by a person who explained that she needed the
fire for dinner(possibly legal?),
======================

It amazes me how otherwise reasonable folks can put themselves into
a position where they are forced to break rules, then justify that
they should do so, because they need to do so. (usually meaning
that it is inconvenient not to do so)

Just so it is ABSOLUTELY clear, it is NOT ok or legal to start an open
fire when there is a burn ban in effect.  If you do, and that fire spreads
due to wind and starts a major fire, you can look forward to years in prison.

I don't mean to frame this as a hardass, but clarity is sometimes the
best thing.  If you are clueless about what you are doing, and harm others,
it is NOT excusable.

This year is starting to look like it might be an epically dry year.  There
is already talk among forest managers about CLOSING national forests in july
due to the fire danger.  We hikers should be aware of this heightened danger
as well, and be willing to adjust ourselves to that reality.

I work in an occupation in which 'becoming involved' in a situation is
not an option, it is mandatory, with legal ramifications for not
becoming involved.  I believe the right thing to do is to become involved.
Simply packing up and moving on is not the right thing to do, unless it
is to find authorities to report to.

None of what I'm saying was meant to apply to the poster who I was quoting.