[pct-l] Fires

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:47:01 CST 2012

"I talked to one thru-hiker who bragged that he, and his posse,
had built a campfire every night on the entire trip, border to border."
- Steel-Eye

This happens way too much. Just read the happy-jolly trail journals
every year. It's a wonder there are not even more hiker-caused fires.

The California Campfire Permit requirement to have a shovel available
would by itself prohibit every long distance hiker I have ever known
from building a campfire. Local restrictions make the use of ANY stove
in southern California questionable, much less a wood fire.

If any hikers haven't carefully read the terms of the campfire permit,
the special limitations, and the liability information, please do so.
And please don't build a fire unless you think you or an injured hiker
are going to freeze to death.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5346076.pdf

Palomino
Jim Ostdick