[pct-l] HYOH

Jerry Goller geartester at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 21:14:24 CST 2012

I have been camping and backpacking since I was 5 years old. For the first
20 years or so fires where the only option other than white gas camp stoves.
My dad taught me how to start fires in almost any conditions. He also taught
me how to maintain a fire and how to put it out. I switched over to
practical stoves when they became available. There is nothing like dreaming
the fire or the smell of wood smoke, so every so often I build a fire, maybe
once or twice a year. I always build a fire when my son and wife come along.
In all those years and all those fires I've never, ever, *ever* had one even
remotely get away from me.

But I was taught that fire was a dangerous, living thing. Like any dangerous
living thing it needed to be restrained and guarded. Never forget it is
there and it is just waiting to cause mischief.

As far as laws and rules are concerned, they have theirs and I have mine.

Jerry

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
reviews on the planet.