[pct-l] Help!

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Feb 12 11:11:31 CST 2012

On 2/11/2012 9:30 AM, Tim wrote:
> I have no hiking partner, and I feel it would be a little safer,
> supportive, lighter, etc. to have someone to hike with.  Is t his
> true?  I am comfortable being on my own, but a lot can happen in 2600
> miles.  I am in decent shape, but it is cycling shape, not hiking
> shape.  Any recommendations on hiking alone vs with a partner or
> small group? And how does one go about creating a mutually beneficial
> hiking experience for both parties?

People who are unfamiliar with the trail seem to put a lot of emphasis
on finding a hiking partner. It really isn't as big an issue as you make
it out to be. Go and hike. Don't worry about a partner.

About 400 people will begin their attempt to thru hike the trail this
year. Almost all of them will begin within a 3-week window, starting in
mid-April. That is an average of 20 people per day starting the trail,
even more starting the last weekend of April. You won't be alone unless
you want to be. As you hike, you will be unaware of the numbers of
potential companions that you are surrounded by as you all move up the
trail at about the same pace.

At water sources and resupply points, you will be surprised to see the
numbers of other hikers you were not even aware of while you were
hiking. Some will match you hiking style, pace, etc. Others won't. If
you want to have a partner, you will gravitate toward someone whose
style and pace match yours. Your partnership will be as tight or as
loose as you want it to be. It will last until one of you leaves the
trail, or decides to up the daily mileage, or decides to spend an extra
day in town, or decides you are just tired of each other, or you both
reach Canada together.

So don't worry about finding a partner. If you want one, it will happen.
If you don't want one, it won't happen. Odds are it will happen several
times over the length of the trial.