[pct-l] Long Pants

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 12:46:37 CST 2012

Most hiker chicks - furry or not - ARE tough! However, most are still slaves
to habit and/or fashion.

Other than for medical procedures and a few competitive sports, we men
rarely if ever shave our legs. IMO, the "fur" provides a small amount of
warmth and by physically imposing an air space between our skin and
clothing, facilitates ventilation via the bellows effect with long pants.
Certain body areas need all the ventilation they can get. Many male hikers
forego shaving and haircuts too. Some are just plain lazy, 'tis true, but
for most of us, it is an expression of rebellion against the norms of modern
societal dress codes. Granted, it can make hitching harder when you look
like Grizzly Adams, but then nothing in life is free.