[pct-l] Fw: SOCKS/mosquitoes

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 14:19:00 CST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
To: Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <diane at santabarbarahikes.com>; "pct-l at backcountry.net" <pct-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] SOCKS/mosquitoes

I had mentioned this on the list a year ago. Thought I should mention it again.

I wore insect and tick repellent cloths on the PCT. It is made by ExOfficio and is sometimes labeled Buzz Off. I wore the socks, the pants (they make them both with full pant legs and also one with zip-off legs so that they can become shorts), the shirt (a great design, with expandable breast pockets and open-able, insect screened air vents.The sleeves can be rolled up and buttoned), and the cap with cape to cover your neck. While mosquitoes might fly around you, they don't land on the fabric - and therefore don't sting you through it. I only had to use Deet on my cheeks, forehead, and on the backs of my hands. I also used Deet on my horse in camp, on areas not protected by his blanket, which I had sprayed before starting.

That approach worked well for me in areas where there were insects and ticks.

They stock those products at REI and you can also buy them on the web.

MendoRider-Hiker