[pct-l] Mt. Whitney Permits

Dan C. aka Thumper dofdear at cox.net
Thu Feb 16 11:44:40 CST 2012

As I understand it, if your thru-hiking permit has the Whitney endorsement you may exit via the Whitney Zone, read that as via the Portal, and then reenter within, I believe it is within 24 hours back through the Whiney Zone to the JMT/PCT.  You do not need to be exact with your dates as the PCT Whitney endorsements are not under quota control.  And that is the whole purpose of the endorsement so you may legally exit and return.

As Yogi already pointed out, if you approach from the west and return without exiting then you do not require a permit or an endorsement on your thru-hiking permit.

That's my understanding anyway.

Thumper aka dofdear