[pct-l] Campfires at Swarthout Canyon

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 12:20:36 CST 2012

Johanna

In regards to your post, might I suggest a slightly more activist policy.  If you can, head out there in the evening (when folks are likely to be camping there) to refill the cache.  Bring a bucket along.  Inform the scofflaw camp fire types, when you encounter them, they have a choice - douse the fire themselves or you'll be calling Johnny Law who'll come out and issue some expensive citations.  Carefully explain that the reason you're doing this is self preservation due to your close proximity and the extremely high fire danger of the area.  Then proceed to refill the cache, wish every one a great hike and head out on your way.  Mention in passing as you're leaving that you'll be observing at a distance after your departure (possible due to your close proximity) and if you note any further fire activity (assuming they chose to douse the fire) you'll inform the local law enforcement authorities (and actually do this should the scofflaws relight a
 fire).  It shouldn't take too many encounters for the message to get out.

Sincerely

TC

4/25 - 10/2/2006

I maintained the water cache at Swarthout Canyon last year and plan on
doing the same this year.  It is a very high fire danger area and
fines for fires are expensive.  I put up signs at the cache but still
there were people building campfires last summer.  One was so huge it
looked like a bonfire!  I will put up signs again this year, but if
anyone has any suggestions on getting people to read and follow the
signs, it would be appreciated.  I live only a few minutes away and a
wildfire can travel very fast thru this area.