[pct-l] Mt. Whitney Permits

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 12:36:02 CST 2012

Thumper aka dofdear said:
> As I understand it, if your thru-hiking permit has the Whitney endorsement you may exit via the Whitney Zone,
> read that as via the Portal, and then reenter within, I believe it is within 24 hours back through the Whiney Zone
> to the JMT/PCT. You do not need to be exact with your dates as the PCT Whitney endorsements are not under
> quota control. And that is the whole purpose of the endorsement so you may legally exit and return.
>
> As Yogi already pointed out, if you approach from the west and return without exiting then you do not require a
> permit or an endorsement on your thru-hiking permit.
>
> That's my understanding anyway.

Thumper's understanding is close to correct - the exception being that one has 48 hours (instead of 24) from time
of entry into the Inyo NF Whitney Zone, go down to Whitney Portal (and/or Lone Pine), return and be out of the zone
and back in Seki NP.

But... if you are doing a 'full' resupply over Trail Crest, that's one helluva climb back up with a 'full' load!  ;o)
Better, IMHO, to hit Lone Pine via from either Trail Pass or Kearsarge Pass... Just a 'thought' to consider...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)