[pct-l] blister wisdom

Dan Engleman danengleman at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 18:10:08 CST 2012

I am probably not the best person to comment on how not to get blisters because I have had more than my share.  Changing socks many times a day, cleaning up my feet a couple times a day, and having shoes that are a size or two larger than normal probably limited the number of blisters, but I usually hiked too many miles and blisters were the result.  I read the latest edition of "Fix Your Feet" and I am glad I did because I started out last years thru hike with a small collection of items dedicated to foot care and taking time out to take care of my feet was a ritual I practiced every day, many times a day.  Rewarding my feet (cleaning, massaging, doctoring) was an important part of my day.  I had high hopes of doing "everything" right and being one of those "no blister" thru hikers, but that just didn't pan out for me.

I noticed a hiker with cotton thread, hanging off of her heel and she explained that some hikers were using cotton thread as a "wick" for troublesome blisters, especially on blisters that occur under a thick callous.  I am a real slow learner, so I didn't give that method a try until many miles (and many blisters) later; when I did I wished I had caught on sooner because that was the end of my blister ordeal.  My trouble areas were on my heels, on the ball of my foot (behind the big toe) and my baby toes.  Evemtually, I used the "thread method" on all  of my trouble areas .. .and that was the end of my blister problems!

Basically, you clean up the blister area (with alcohol), thread a small sewing needle with COTTON thread (embroidery thread worked great), sterilize the needle with a bic, run it through the blister (from one side to the other), remove the needle, let the thread dangle, and go on your way.

I do believe that cutting the number of miles would have made a significant impact on my blister ordeal, but I started the trail in late May and I just got in the habit of hiking excessive miles.  When I take on another long distance hike I will continue to work at preventing blisters, but I suspect that some people are more prone to blisters than others.  I am writing in the hopes that some of you may not have to suffer with blisters as much as I had to.  Maybe the "cotton thread trick" may work for you.

One other thing I wanted to share with the Class of 2012 is related to the "blister topic." By the time I got to the Sierras my blister problems had gone away; my callouses were thick and my feet had become conditioned to long days on the trail.  I had heard that your feet are wet much of the time (trekking through the snowmelt and river crossings) and I was prepared for that, but I wasn't prepared to lose all of my callouses.  The cold water and colder weather was actually quite wonderful as many of my hiker aches and pains disappeared, but it was mentally agonizing for me to realize that all my hard earned callouses had "melted" away.  I am not sure if I was just starting to wear thin (mentally and emotionally) but losing all my callouses came a a big surprise to me ... it may sound pretty basic and insignificant to many, but for the sake of the Class of 2012 I will risk being "the fool" by saying ... don't be surprised when you get to Sonora
 Pass and all your hard earned callouses are gone ...

The other thing I wanted to say is I want to thank the folks on the list for sharing their wisdom.  I used the list to educate myself about backpacking and thru hiking and I was so much better prepared to launch out on my PCT adventure thanks to all of you.  I think of those preparing for their 2012 journey and my advice to you is to enjoy the process; you will have great challenges before, during, and after ... and it is all good ...

7 11