[pct-l] Maps and guidebooks

Douglas Tow douglastow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:12:15 CST 2012

Good afternoon!

For general planning, I start with Craig's hike planner, to give me a
general idea of how my resupply points are spaced, what elevation gains are
involved along the way, etc.  It allows one to set a pace, an allowance for
extra time gaining altitude, and whether or not, for example, you want to
overnight where you pick up a supply box.

On my section hikes, I carry Halfmile's maps, the data book pages, and a
GPS with Halfmile's waypoints and trail track.  I never felt a lack of
another resource.

Halfmile's "water" waypoints saved us time and thirst, as some of the water
sources are very difficult to find until you are right on top of them, and
some of those are not on the trail proper.  The maps and data book can't
pinpoint them as precisely.

As others have mentioned, don't forget to update yourself with the water
reports.  Nothing like finding the water location, but no water.

Just a suggestion for those who use Halfmile's resources:  On the website,
there is a Donate button.  I use it.  Use your own judgement, compare the
cost of the Data Book to the usefulness of maps and GPS data.

Doug