[pct-l] HYOH- campfires

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 18:32:28 CST 2012

In 2008, the trail north of Fobes Saddle was closed because of the Apache Fire. As you probably recall, it was started by a careless PCT hiker. I descended to camp near the Fire Station at the bottom of Morris Ranch Road (I arranged to have someone pick my horse and I up an d trailer us around). The Captain there was very upset that a PCT hiker had started it.

If you witness an illegal camp fire, take pictures first, then tell the person that they are breaking the law and ask them, politely, to immediately put it out. If the do not, report them - use your cell phone when you find a spot where you can. If you have a GPS record the coordinates of the location. Anyone making camp fires in areas where they are prohibited is willingly putting us all at risk. I have no patience with that attitude.

MendoRider-Hiker