[pct-l] Thru hiking with dog

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:05:33 CST 2012

Michael wrote:

Of course, since you want to break the law and risk the life of your dog, I
guess that's your choice.  But your justifications are lame and seem
self-serving.  No one here is going to support you.

I don't think it's necessary to jump on Dana like that - she(?) hasn't
stated any desire to break the law.  She's already aware from recent threads
that dogs are prohibited on certain sections of the PCT and while she hasn't
said what she plans to do about that, she certainly hasn't said she intends
to ignore it.  I do think that thru-hiking with a dog is risky but then a
lot of people think that hiking in the mountains in any circumstance is
risky, so I'm not going to yell at someone for taking on a risk load that
I'd be uncomfortable with, as long as they know what they're getting into
and are willing to bear the responsibility for the consequences.  She
already said she's fine with change her plans if things don't work out for
her dog the way she expects so what more do you want?

Dana, I can't answer most of your questions but I do expect that the snake
vaccine would be worthwhile.  Most thru-hikers see several rattlesnakes in
southern California and most dogs don't have the sense to give them a wide
berth.  And yes, there can be a lot of ticks as well, depended on the
season.

Eric