[pct-l] Minimalist Shoes, Poison Oak, And Dezi Donally

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:38:09 CST 2012

In regards to poison oak, it is a relatively light oil but many of us are
terribly allergic to it.  If you get into a bunch on trail, and all thru
hikers will, wash the contact area in the first water you come to, even
with no soap, and you have a good chance of not getting it.  You'll be
filthy and your natural oils are a good barrier, that's part of the reason
we have oily skin.
Several weeks ago while shrooming in the Sierra foothills and bushwacking
in dense brush when I got wacked really hard in the face by several PO
branches.  Hard enough to leave a scratch.  I thought I was dead meat, as I
get it bad and know it in all seasons.  But, I came upon a small stream
within 10 minutes or so, washed really well with no soap and was fine.  No
rash.  When mushrooming I've often taken a midwinter bath in a stream and
not gotten it after crawling through it.  So, soap or no, wash as soon as
you come I contact with it.  On much of the PCT you won't have the luxury
of a well placed stream, but if you do you may save yourself the rash.
Henry Coe is wonderful right now great choice for a hike.

Shroomer