[pct-l] Dogs and Poison Oak

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 23:28:24 CST 2012

> Poison oak is a California native plant. A weed, by definition, is a plant that's growing where it is unwanted, and the usual context is that it's not native to the area of concern. Poison oak is native and is an important part natural ecosystems that we enjoy and appreciate. Like cold nights, high streams, bad bugs, and of course Big Foot, take the good with the bad and hike on.

Generally, I agree.  I've noticed on CalFlora.org that there are a few CA native plants officially classified as noxious weeds.  I think those are plants that have either hitchhiked from one spot that was geographically isolated from another similar habitat, or that is native to a particular area, but is thriving in agricultural fields and is getting in the way.

DO be aware of a poison-oak lookalike Rhus trilobata!  I've seen it on the northern end of the Hat Creek Rim and at Burney Falls State Park.

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR