[pct-l] Snowshoes and Crampons

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:08:24 CST 2012

Alan,

I live in SoCal.  The south slopes of Mt. Baldy are clear of snow right now, which is unusual for this time of year.  However, there is substantial ice visible on the north side where the PCT comes through, and also on San Jacinto and San Gorgonio.  The next storm that comes thorugh is likely to drop more.

I would carry ice axe and crampons on northern exposures above 6-7000' for at least the next month.  This means you'd want them from Highway 74 to Agua Dulce, or so, then again at Kennedy Meadows unless the Sierra snowpack melts out exceptionally early.

Happy hiking

DMoney

Message: 32