[pct-l] Park Rangers

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 21:11:28 CST 2012

I have been backpacking in Yosemite for more then 20 years.  I've never had
a bad encounter with a ranger, even their law enforcement whom I had a
conversation with a midnight about my parking.  Always polite and very exat
about what the issue is.  My experience with any LEO is you are teated in
the manner you treat them.  Conversations in the backcountry are usually
about seeing my permit and bear can.  And yes they are very strict about
it.  But if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Yosemite has to stricty enforce their regulations.  Let me tell you about 1
trip camping in Tuolumne Meadows Campground.  Even though the rangers tell
everyone the rules about storing food when you check in the campground, the
idiots in the campsite next to me still left their cooler full of food on
their table after they went to bed.  Of course the patroling ranger at
midnight wasn't amused when he had to wake them up.  And a few sites down,
every night at the same time for 3 nights in a row, the same people would
start banging pots and pans and shouting because a bear came into their
campsite and got part of their dinner because they couldn't keep their food
properly stored.  You would think that after the first time they would
learn.  But no, you apparently can't educate an idiot.  And so more problem
bears are created that have to be put down.

Sorry about your friend, but I have to wonder what the other side of the
story is because I suspect there is more to it here.

-Miner