[pct-l] Insurance while hiking

Iceaxehikes at gmail.com Iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:44:04 CST 2012

I got a short term (6 Month) catastrophic health insurance policy from
Assurant corp for my last long distance hike. The first two hikes I was un
insured.
Of course nothing happened to me on my hikes that vitamin I could
not "cure" so the policy was un used.
My uncle is an insurance salesman and he said that $1,200 for 6 months with
$500 deductable is about the norm for a policy without a medical screening
etc.
You pretty much fill out a questionaire, pay the money, and are signed up.
Looking back it seems a bit silly since I am back in the "working world"
now and am un-insured.
Of course if something did happen on a hike and you are on the opposite
side of the country from family, like the AT was for me, it is peace of
mind. Albeit very expensive peace of mind.
-iceaxe