[pct-l] Hiking with dogs

aslive at charter.net aslive at charter.net
Mon Feb 27 11:08:18 CST 2012

I love my two dogs and just took them overnight hiking and camping, but
I would never take them on a thru-hike.  There are just too many
dangers, river crossings, cliff or ice shoot falls, infections, injuries
and the small animals they would chase and perhaps catch that might
carry any of a verity of diseases.  Besides, it can get really cold out
there.  I camped between the Mojave and Lake Silverwood dams the other
day and although it was in the low seventies during the day, it was in
the high twenties that night, with the frost freezing on my tent.  I had
both my lab and pit bull crawl inside my sleeping bag with me!  I didn't
think my mummy bag could hold us all.  This would not work night after
night in the Sierras.  Just my two cents, HYOH.    Shepherd