[pct-l] Achilles Tendon

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 15:10:29 CST 2012

Dear Mark,

How old are you?  Age plays a BIG factor in how quickly you heal!  If you
haven't seen an Orthopedic Surgeon, do it NOW!  They will have a realistic
time line for healing.  I am 51 years old and have had several extenuating
injuries.  It always amazes me how my doc seems to accurately predict my
course of healing.  I am currently nursing a horizontal oblique tear in the
meniscus of my knee.  He specializes in sports injuries.

Keep in mind that an Achilles Strain can become an Achilles TEAR and
sideline you for the rest of your life.  I have a cycling friend who used
to be a runner.  He had to quit the sport forever and become a cyclist
because of an Achilles tear.  Tendons take a long time to heal as they do
not receive a good blood supply.  Ligaments take even longer as ligaments
connect bone to bone.  A Tendon connects muscle to bone so one side at
least is vascularized.  The Achilles Tendon has to perform with the entire
weight of your body!  Respect that!

That being said:  One of my daughters was a cross country runner in high
school (Made it to State Championships 3 years in a row!)  In her Sophomore
or Junior year (can't remember) she acquired an Achilles Tendon strain at
the end of her season in November and ran the High School State
Championships with the beginning of the strain.  Afterwards, we went to the
doctor who put her in a "boot".  She also had physical therapy and worked
out only in the pool.  She was ready to join her season on the Track team
in March or April where she ran long distance events, 2 mile, 1 mile, the
880 and the coach would throw her in a relay if he was short a body.

A 16 year old heals a lot faster than a 40, 50 or 60 year old!  It also
depends on the seriousness of the injury.

My advice:  HEAL!  Don't fight mother nature!  HEAL while your injury is
mild!  Delay your adventure by a year.  The trail will still be there!  You
need to be extremely fit to hike the trail and even if you do heal in time
to hike this year, your muscles will not be conditioned properly for the
hike.  An Orthopedic Surgeon will give you a realistic time line!

Toga