[pct-l] Achilles Tendon

David Grayson djgmd at centurytel.net
Mon Jan 2 14:00:51 CST 2012

Mark -
    This is an important concern that needs to be addressed reliably. I
believe there are a lot of variables to consider. I trust Podiatrists as the
most knowledgeable and experienced clinicians regarding Achilles problems
and frankly anything below the knee.  I would ask a good Podiatrist about
your tendonopathy.
    BTW - stay away from quinolone antibiotics (Ciprofloxin and Levofloxin)
as they are associated with spontaneous Achilles tears even with brief 10
exposures.  They are often recommended for traveler's enteritis/diarrhea -
but there are other safer alternatives.
[Dave Grayson] David J. Grayson, MD