[pct-l] Which section of PCT would be a right choice for 10 days trekking with 13 old child?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Jan 3 20:45:18 CST 2012

Bear canisters can be obtained in both Yosemite Valley and at Tuolumne Meadows, so you can start from either spot. They are also available at some of the permit stations, like the one on the south end of Lone Pine. You can also rent the Bearikade models in advance directly from the manufacturer, Wild Ideas. They will ship it to you  so as to arrive a day or two before your start date. See https://www.wild-ideas.net/rent.html

Permits: the PCTA Thruhiker Permit is only available for PCT hikes of more than 500 continuous miles so your hike won't qualify. JMT permits can be obtained in several locations, both in advance via mail or the internet or as walk-ins and are based on a daily quota for each trailhead. Some trailheads are easier to get than others. A special endorsement is required if you plan to camp in Little Yosemite Valley.

Please define "not too long". Ten trail days doesn't translate into routing without some idea of the desired daily mileage.

Public transportation is readily available at Reds Meadow, Mammoth Lakes, Tuolumne Meadows, and Yosemite Valley. The Eastern Sierra Transit Authority (ESTA) buses run from Reno airport up and down Hwy 395 on the east side of the Sierra. There are commercial shuttle services based in Bishop and Lone Pine that can take you to and from virtually any road-accessible trailhead you want.....for a fee.