[pct-l] Which section of PCT would be a right choice for 10 days trekking with 13 old child?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:08:07 CST 2012

Hi MIchal,
One of the most gorgeous 8 to 10 day trips accessing a section of the JMT
is what is known as the North Lake to South Lake Loop out of Bishop.  You
can go in either direction, but I prefer starting at South Lake as your
first climb is over Bishop Pass and into Le Conte Canyon, one of my
favorite, knock your socks off trails in the Sierra.  People hiking the
PCT/JMT, down in the canyon, don't get to see the real view unless they
hike in or out over Bishop, but it's just marvelous, the craggy peaks
falling to the more polished granite finally dropping off into the depths
of forested, Le Conte Canyon.  Drop Dead gorgeous.

You then follow the JMT North, up and over Muir Pass which isn't bad if the
snow is gone, past Lakes Helen and Wanda, named after Muir's daughters and
into Evolution Valley and McClure Meadow.  Evolution Creek winds its way
through the meadow and the sun glints off the water and grass, and at the
far end of the valley, the peaks rise up.  When we camped in Evolution
Valley on our thru hike, two of my companions, Mango and Smiles, came up to
me separately during the evening and quietly said it was the most beautiful
place they had ever camped before.

>From here you just follow the JMT and can take a day at the Vermillion
Valley Resort, just a few miles and a boat ride off the JMT, and then loop
back via Humphrey Basin and Paiute Pass.  The trail drops you at North Lake
where you can hike or hitch the short distance to your car at South Lake.
That is if you have a car.

That is my favorite loop for that amount of time in the High Sierra.

Shroomer