[pct-l] Gray Wolf in California

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 12:05:04 CST 2012

I have hiked in eastern Oregon with wolves around. I would suggest as with all wildlife good camping habits such as cooking away from a sleeping area and hanging food bags is always a good way to keep critters away from your food. I never bring anything with a scent into my tent including lip balm, toothpaste or deodorant as strange scents are what attract critters big and small.  Making noise as you hike also reduces the chances of a surprise encounter on the trail. I have spotted all manner of wildlife and most of them go out of their way to avoid you wolves included. Unless a wolf is sick or starving they normally will depart an area you are in. As with all wildlife be aware of offspring and prey kills as most animals will defend these. If you feel the need to carry a weapon of any type make sure you are proficient in its use.

Sent from my iPhone