[pct-l] Marmots ripped my flesh, er, pack

Lisa Peru lisaperu2011 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 19:25:23 CST 2012

Good links, thanks everyone.  I don't think I have time to DIY dehydrate the meals I need, but I will probably invest in bulk dehydrated goodies to split among my drop boxes. Last season I did 2 months of boxes to start the trail, then shopped as I went. Nutrition and budget suffered severely by the end, so I hope to have a few boxes stashed for further north this time.

Japanese mashers? I'd love to try them. I like Idahoan loaded, the others suck. I found couscous or rice left me ravenous at 2 AM. For ramen, Shin Hot Ramen is my preference, but I've never seen it in a trail town. My great improvisation was hot ramen pad Thai: +2 big spoons nut butter and veggies, if possible. Nido is also great add to so many meals, and I look for the fortified version, again, never seen in a trail town. Tomato powder is a great add to many of the pasta sides. I find I crave tomato when I hike, perhaps due to an amino acid that tomato contains that is not well stored by the body.

How will you bake a pizza on the trail?  I'm very curious! I've seen flatbread made, and it sure looked tasty.

And what do people keep in their snack pockets? For me, it's usually cracker packets, dried fruit, jerky or nuts, and some candy for the afternoon doldrums. Snack choices are limited by my peanut allergy. Odwalla bars are least likely to have peanuts, so far as I know, so sometimes I eat those.

Peru

Sent from my iPhone