[pct-l] Sierra food and start date

J Whippen jenna.whippen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 18:49:57 CST 2012

Hi everyone!

I plan to thru hike this year and I have two questions.

First, it seems from the research I have done so far that not everyone can
fit all of the food they need in the sierra into a bear canister and some
food is put in other containers or stuff sacks for a few days.  What do
people normally stick overflow food into? (a normal stuff sack, ursack,
etc.) and where do you put that food while sleeping?

The second question regards start date relative to snow pack.  I know that
the weather could change between now and May, but if it is a low snow pack
year and there is an earlier start date, does that mean people CAN start
earlier or that it is recommended to start earlier?  I graduate on May 4th
and plan on starting from Campo around May 7th plus or minus one day.
According to my rough itinerary I plan to arrive in Kennedy Meadows on June
15th.  If I do leave on this later start date, is scarcity of water the
only major problem I would encounter or are there other problems to
consider?  I know that this is a difficult and situational question to
answer but I would appreciate any feedback or personal experiences with a
May start date.

Also, I have Yogi's books and have done a fair amount of research, it just
seems that this year looks to be abnormal already.

Thanks,
Jenna