[pct-l] 2012 Hike Planning Session: 10 Questions

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 23:54:54 CST 2012

1. If your bag is light, then I'd carry it.  On warm nights you can use it
like a quilt.  A true backpacking quilt would probably save you a pound or
two, and pack much smaller.  Tim Marshall of EnLIGHTened Equipment makes
custom quilts that are very well priced, and right now he's selling the
Revelation X that's priced even better...but probably won't last long.

2. You don't need a free standing tent.  Stopping early and bringing extra
cord will allow you to figure out other ways to "stake" your tent.

3. Water depends on you.  Only you can figure that out by doing training
hikes.  I've used as much as 8 liters in a day, and as little as 4, but I
don't think I've carried more than 5 liters this year.

4. Is that in addition to a mini bic?  Mini bic should be your number 1
choice.  It's small, light, reliable and very easy to use.

5. Food again depends on you.  Whatever you decide needs to be based on
what allows you to consume an adequate amount of food.  It's not easy to
consume 4500-6000 calories a day, but you need to.  Ideally you'd figure
this out on your training hikes.  Focusing on foods high in fat will help
you carry more calories with less weight and bulk, and nuts and olive oil
is a good way to do this.

6. I have zip off pants, but I only took off the bottoms once.  That was at
Cottonwood Creek.  It took so long that I never did it again.  I just walk
on through.  I don't care if my pants get wet and muddy.  It's better than
wasting time changing clothes next to a creek when I could have done
another mile or two instead.

7. I believe you don't need a bear canister until you get to the Sierra
National Forest, but you'd do well to pick up your bear canister are
Kennedy Meadow or make a side trip shortly after (into Lone Pine?).

8. Solar chargers are a waste.  Several reasons why.  If you can find a usb
charger cord that works for both your cell phone and ebook reader, then use
that and charge in town.  If you use those items sparingly, battery life
shouldn't be a problem.

9. I used to carry a small Leatherman, but never used it.  Now I carry a
razor blade, but I don't use that either.  I need some kind of blade, so a
razor blade is about as small as I can go.  I store mine in the battery
compartment of my cell phone, which also ensures that my cell phone doesn't
accidentally turn on.

10. Once you're down to gear that you need and is not redundant, less
weight is better.  If you want to share a gear list, then put up a Google
Spreadsheet.  It'll really help if you have the weight of each item.  That
said, it's probably too late to replace a bunch of gear, so you should
focus on learning how to use gear for more than one purpose and then
eliminate the redundant items.