[pct-l] 2012 Hike Planning Session: 10 Questions

Tim Gustafson tjg at tgustafson.com
Sun Jan 8 12:26:41 CST 2012

So, I'm attaching my current gear list here.  I tried to share the
Google Doc I created, but apparently I have the super-special "Free
Google Apps for Business" account, which does not let you share
documents with people outside your organization unless I specify
everyone's e-mail addresses separately, which is just lame.

So, looking at this spreadsheet it's clear to me that the biggest
opportunity for weight savings is the backpack itself (I have a
10-year old pack, and it's rather heavy and large) and perhaps the
tent and sleeping bag (and of course, these are all the most expensive
things to replace).  I don't mind spending some money - I intend to do
approximately 180-200 miles per year, picking up where I left off the
year before on nearly the day that I left off the year before - so
whatever I buy for this year will get used in subsequent years (and
other non-PCT trips too).

The things with a "B" in the status column are things that I still
have to buy.  So, it's clear that with the clothing and other items
still on my shopping list, I'm going to come in at around 35 pounds
here, not including food and water.  Needless to say, that's high.  :)
 I'd like the dry pack weight down to no more than 30 pounds.