[pct-l] 2012 Hike Planning Session: 10 Questions

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 17:22:22 CST 2012

Hi Tim,

Since you will be starting your PCT hike on the last weekend of April, be sure to also attend the Kickoff on Saturday, April 28. You will learn a lot there and meet some great people.

In your list of 10, I am only commenting on #5. As a Veggie, is cheese a possibility for you?  Some Veggies eat dairy products.  If you can eat cheese I would recommend that you try BabyBel. Each cheese is encased in wax and sealed in plastic. I used them throughout my PCT journey (about six months on the trail) and had none spoil so long as I did not crush them. Then I might have a little mold along the crack - I just trimmed it off. They taste good and have good calories.

There are several great tasting energy bars with good calories. Check out Nature Valley Fruit and nut and also their Sweet and Salty Nut. Snickers have great calories.

Nuts. I brought lots of nuts of all kinds.  I especially like walnuts - 199 calories/ounce.

I also bring a variety of dehydrated fruits. Also salted sunflower seeds.

A good  nutritious drink mix to add to some of your cold water is Tang.

Since you will only be hiking for 18 days, don't worry that you will lose some weight.  Just put on some extra before you start and then accept that you will lose that and a little more by the end of your hike.

ALSO:  Get a book on edible wild plants that you will sometimes be able to find during your journey.  Some are quite good. During my own planned 250 mile hike through the Sierra this summer, I will be supplementing the food that I will carry with plants that I am familiar with - also with fresh trout.

If you decide to cook there are lots of pre-packaged meals that you can buy at any Supermarket. Consider the Knorr brand; they offer several choices. I always add pieces of BabyBel cheese and Nido powdered whole milk for extra calories and better taste. You will need a stove that will simmer.

If you cook, a great drink is Swiss Miss "Hot Chocolate Sensation" add Nido to that for extra calories. I drink a half-pint cup twice a day - with breakfast and dinner. That alone is over 700 calories.

Have a great hike!

MendoRider/Hiker