[pct-l] San Diego Hiker Host

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 19:47:40 CST 2012

After taking last year off to have surgery, I will once again be hosting hikers in San Diego for the 2012 season.  I will pick up hikers at the airport, train station or bus terminal, house them for as long as they need, make runs to REI, post office and grocery stores, and get them out to the trailhead for a start at first light.  During the height of the season, say, the last week before the ADZPCTKO, there will be some social events with the other San Diego trailhead hosts as well.  I will attend the ADZPCTKO as a volunteer, so there will be no airport runs from Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon, April 27-29.  In order that I may get my organization together, please post me your complete arrival information, ie, airline, flight number and arrival time, desired start date, and any other needs, and look for a confirmation from me that your data has been received.  I will receive packages from hikers or venders.  Once scheduled with me. you will have my address and phone number.  The UPS store is a one hour round trip, the Post Office is 5 minutes.

There are just a couple of details hikers need to follow.  First, I would prefer to correspond with hikers only, in other words, no third parties, and the correspondence should be email.  Phone calls are lost and forgotten, but emails leave a record.  If you are part of a group, only one person needs to make contact. BTW, we use NAMES, not trailnames or email logons.  I need to see your NAME in every email.  Second, I can’t host smokers, and that is a hard requirement, even if you don’t smoke in my house or vehicle.  I was sick for 4 days when a smoker spent 48 hours with me, despite not smoking in the house or vehicle.  The smoke on his clothes was enough. Call me a hardass, call me rude, call me unreasonable, or intolerant. I do not care.  I am all of those things.  If I smell smoke on you, tobacco or otherwise, I will not ask you to leave.  I will insist on it.

Now, with all this unpleasantness out of the way, 2012 section- or thru-hikers are enthusiastically welcome here.  I have hosted over 500 hikers, some of them multiple times.  I have a pretty good idea of how to do this to the benefit of all of us.  One more thing.  I do not operate a shuttle; I host hikers.  So please do not ask me to meet you at the airport and run you directly out to the trailhead.  There is public transportation for that.  As you would expect, all correspondence between us should be off-list.

If you are still with me and not scared off, then good luck to the Class of 2012, I’ll be seeing you in America’s Finest City.  Bob Riess at the Trailhead. San Diego, CA.  Hike on!