[pct-l] Wind farms crossing PCT at Cameron Canyon and Kelso Valley near Tehachapi, CA.

Penny Melko pmelko at ximatek.com
Mon Jan 9 17:47:01 CST 2012

Hello fellow hikers,

This is my first posting to the group. I hope this is appropriate to
broadcast because the topic is critical to hikers.

Those of us living near Tehachapi are experiencing the total destruction of
the mountain ranges that traverse the Pacific Crest Trail by wind turbines.
Two wind turbine projects were approved 2 weeks ago where turbines will
cross the trail south of the 58 freeway.  The 3rd place is near Jawbone
Canyon and Kelso Valley where 116 turbines were approved within 1 1/2 miles
of the trail. More wind projects are planned or approved!

Is it possible for hikers to have their cameras and a gps system at hand to
photograph raptors like red tail hawks, Bald and Golden eagles and
California Condors on the trails? The encounters should be reported to
Ventura Fish and Game (see info below). Condors are tagged and have
transmitters that capture the location of the birds every hour. The photos,
and or the tag number with the coordinates can be verified by the agency.
Zero "takes" of endangered species are not approved by the federal
permitting agency. This may be the only legal way to stop the decimation of
the trail and habitats.

Dave Hacker, Staff Environmental Scientist. Region 4 Renewable Energy
Projects. California Department of Fish and Game, 3196 South Higuera St.,
Suite A. San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, 805.594.6152, dhacker at dfg.ca.gov

The hikers would be the most logical people to spot the birds. I have
personally seen 2 Calif condors in Pine Canyon and 2 hikers saw a Bald eagle
so we know they live and forage along the trail.

I am a resident of Sand Canyon, which is located one exit west Cameron
Canyon at the 58 freeway. I'll be happy to provide any information you
require. We have been fighting the wind farms in every community here for 2
years and every bit of supporting data is critical.

Sent By: Penny Melko, pmelko at ximatek.com