[pct-l] maps and books (thank you)

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:31:15 CST 2012

So I went back to the original question about books and maps: see below……

First off every body needs to stop and give a collective thank you to anyone who ever made
even the smallest contribution to the map, data and guidebook collection.

Thank you Ben Go for the original PCT Data Book.  Data Geeks rejoice in it's simplicity.

Thank you Jeffery Schaffer (and team) for your original and still my favorite all-in-one guides and maps.
I think the fact that you had to tear the book apart and force the pages to match the maps, made them
loved and "not so loved" at the same time.  I used them twice.

Thank you Halfmile, PostHoler, Eric the Black, and others for your web sites, maps and guides.

Thank you Yogi.  You kept me from being stupid.  Saved me hundreds of hours of planning.

Thank you every one else who made it possible for me to succesfully hike the PCT.

Final note:  don't get caught up in the the idy bitty details and milage differences of the different
sources.  Your average day is 20 to 25 miles.  Your average resupply is about 70+ miles.
(So at 20 mile days for a 100 mile section equals 5 days)
Just focus on those numbers.  You string a bunch of 70 to 100 mile sections together and
before you know it, your done.  One section at a time………Then move on to the next.
Once you are on the trail, the most important things are where is the next water source
and how many miles/days to my next resupply and ice cream and burger and beer!

I still say that my 2001 hike was a multiple section hike of the entire PCT all done in one season.

Remember, hikers have managed to complete the PCT in the old days with only USGS maps and only
a suggested trail.  Don't get overloaded with small details.  Good luck on your hike…..

Now, if I was to hike the trail this year and having reviewed all of the options available, I would:
1) get the Yogi guide for planning and town info
2) use the the Halfmile map set.  (I also like playing with the GPS data provided on the computer)
3) Hike the trail

Peace, Love and remember, it's just walkin'

StarMan

Original Post:
Hey all,

I'm hiking the trail in 2012 with my boyfriend, and we just bought our
maps, yea! We got the latest version of postholer's maps, and really like
them, love the elevation charts. We also have Yogi's book from 2011. We
like them both and wanted to use them together, but the miles aren't the
same for specific towns/river crossings etc. Is there a way to use these
books together easily? We're thinking we should check out the postholer
data book, and maybe we could insert posthole miles into yogi's book?
Anyone use either of these and have suggestions/ feedback on mileage
accuracy? I know I've seen yogi and postholer on this list, too so thought
you could provide an expert opinion! Thanks for your help.