[pct-l] Halfmile's maps

dnlcyclone at aol.com dnlcyclone at aol.com
Tue Jan 10 20:07:37 CST 2012

Just a brief and very civil plug for Halfmile and his maps; my wife, my daughter and I had the pleasure of meeting Halfmile in Warner Springs...so great to meet the incredibly nice guy behind the godsend of Halfmile Maps.  I've used Erik's maps, and while I think Erik is a good guy that has put together a package that continues to improve...Halfmile's maps, pound for pound, are second to none.  I have no idea why Scott Parks aka Postholer continues to be a curmudgeon about it.  "3rd party software..."  Really?  My wife and my daughter and I hiked over 1500 miles this summer, and found Halfmile's maps to be completely flawless.  We used Erik's maps for the first 700 miles, but once we were in the Sierra, we realized that Halfmile's maps gave us more peace of mind and were simply more thorough.  I also used his GPS waypoints on my Delorme Pn 60 w. Spot Communicator...also spot on.  These maps are free, and they have involved a lot of blood, sweat and tears from an incredibly nice and credible man.  I don't want to get into the flame war with anyone, so I'll just respectfully plug Halfmile, as I have Yogi numerous times.  Can't go wrong with either of their publications.  I would urge those thru-hikers who are new this year to not listen to what everyone tells you...you'll figure it out.  There's nothing new under the sun, and nobody's as much of an expert as they think they are, no matter how many miles they've hiked.  It's a trail.  It's a well-established trail.  You'll figure it out.  Yogi's guidebook and Halfmile's maps are all you really need.

Cheers,

David, Rachel & Hazel Liechty (The Three Bears)