[pct-l] Halfmile's PCT maps have been updated for 2012

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Tue Jan 10 23:07:43 CST 2012

For my section hikes last summer (1) end of Oregon sect A and all of sect
B; and (2) Sect. N between Hwy 36 & 44 I used all 3 sources -- halfmile's
maps, postholer's maps, and the data book. In a spreadsheet I matched as
best I could the 3 sources mileage figures by cross referencing on common
landmarks such as highways, rivers, etcetera. The mileage from Mexico never
agreed, nor did the elevation gains and losses.

Which is correct, I don't know. Since all three are measurements done
different ways at different times discrepancies are expected matter which
source(s) you use the actual distance is the same.

I carried halfmile's maps and loaded his waypoints onto the GPS I used but
seldom needed the GPS.

My take -- each of the sources is  off to some degree and I dealt with it.

so HYOH and Navigate YOH.

Tortoise

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable
President John F Kennedy,  1962

All content is copyrighted. Reproduction or use elsewhere is is expressly prohibited without the express permission of the author. Use within the PCT-list is permitted.