[pct-l] Using a GPS on a low snow year

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jan 11 15:08:17 CST 2012

In a low snow year or if you are in an area of the mountains where there are
only patches of snow here and there, it is easy to loose the trail when it
disappears under snow for a distance. This is often a problem for
early-season hikers.

Yes, Chuck, we agree on something!

A GPS is a priceless tool to know where the trail goes when buried under
snow, whether that is a patch or it is everywhere (no matter the depth). It
is even more valuable when in a forest, where you can't see out for distant
landmarks to navigate to.

In these situations we formally followed the trail by going from "blaze" to
"blaze" carved into the trees alongside the trail (when the snowpack didn't
cover them). With the use of a GPS device (with Halfmile's waypoints
installed), following the trail is so much easier since it shows your
location relative to the trail's. If you're a little above or below the
trail, just head over to it while still moving forward. Following blazes
takes a lot of time. Cruising with a GPS gives you confidence (since you
know where the trail is), keeps fear from building in (OMG, I don't know
where the trail is!), and is faster (no slow time trying to find trail
sign).

A note about Halfmile and his efforts to provide accurate maps for hikers:
He is among the best of those who honestly and humbly desire to provide help
and assistance to aspiring hikers, in his case via cartography and actually
walking the routes. He was one of our Snow Advanced Course students out of
Kennedy Meadows last year in May and we became quick friends. We know him,
have tested his maps, and trust his work. If you're hiking the PCT this year
and need maps, contact him or go to his site.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150