[pct-l] Heavier Sleeping Bag versus Lighter Sleeping Bag & Extra Clothing

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 12 09:31:47 CST 2012

In my case a 15-20-degree bag is simply what works.

I live in So Cal. A 20 degree bag will be a little uncomfortable for
those 20-something nights but warm enough for most nights during the
So Cal hiking season. Great for Sierra hikes in the summer. A good
sleeping bag is expensive. Best to get one that works for most
expected conditions and in my opinion, it's better to be too warm
than too cold. Anything less warm than 20 degrees is going to
require, for me, extra clothes almost all the time, maybe even extra
clothes that won't need to be worn much otherwise. Seems like dead
weight that could be better spent with a warmer bag. Down's way
lighter than sleeves and zippers.

As for keeping clean, I slept in my clothes (note that there is an
'e' in there, cloths are rags) and my bag did not look or smell dirty
at the end of my PCT hike. It looks almost brand new. I still have
not washed it.

Put me down as having a Go-lite Ultra 20 and now I also have a Jacks-
R-Better 45-degree wearable that I can layer over my go-lite for
extra warmth and wear as a jacket. I now wish I had only the JRB
wearable in a 15-20-degree version because it's too lightweight to
use by itself unless I go hike on the Nor-Cal PCT in the summer or
something.