[pct-l] Cameras

Joe Robinson joe at joerphoto.com
Wed Jan 11 23:14:25 CST 2012

Hi Samuel,

I'm a professional photographer, and while I shoot clunky SLRs for most of my work, if I'm looking to go light I often use a pentax optio wg-1.  It's under 6 oz and has a great balance of resolution, color, and a fast enough lens to be useful in lowish light.  Also pretty easy to use.... I gave one to my dad and he takes great pics with it. This is a guy who is challenged by email... If your more advanced, there is an Av mode and exposure compensation.  Best yet, it's waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, and you can submerge it up to 30 feet for underwater shots!  Super cool if you like to fish, and you never have to worry about protecting it.

There's also one with a built in GPS (wg-1 gps) which could be really cool but I haven't played with that one.  They're both sub-$300 at b&h

Watch out for super light models that claim high resolution. Compare those based on the PHYSICAL size of the sensor, not the megapixels. The smaller the sensor, the poorer the color and gradation and the more
pronounced the noise.

Joe

Ps I'll be in the thru class of 2012- I've been on the list for a couple of months but this is my first post! :D