[pct-l] Ned's Forum on Postholer.Com

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Jan 12 15:45:00 CST 2012

It is interesting how things change and how people perceive and evaluate
those changes.

Take Mountain Education, for instance. We started teaching wilderness safety
skills back in 1982 by offering winter-only courses at fixed prices. That
lasted until 2004 when we discontinued the school for lack of interest. 2005
brought it back by popular demand and we offered more courses at
"donation-only" prices. In 2011 we were encouraged to become a non-profit
and explored that option for the summer. We have finally settled on running
the school as a for-profit business offering courses with a "suggested
donation" price.

"Suggested donation" pricing works for us because it encourages our students
to listen, apply, and get the most from what we are teaching and allows them
to evaluate its worth to them, thereafter reflected in what they donate at
the end of their course. Some donate nothing, most do the suggested amount,
and a few donate more than that. Some people want to get stuff for free,
especially if it is offered that way, while others appreciate the effort
required of the teachers and donate as they see fit to the degree they
learned.

So, we have now settled in as a nasty commercial venture trying to help
people have fun and safe trips of their own in wilderness at a price they
can decide. Scott doesn't like commercial ventures. Ok. He provides a very
valuable source of information to the hiking community for free and that is
good!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education