[pct-l] Acquiring gear in San Diego, a sample list

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:39:01 CST 2012

*Adventure 16:*
Western Mountaineering sleeping bag
Western Mountain vest or jacket
MSR Groundhog stakes
Thermarest Solite pad (on clearance)
Vermont DarnTough socks
Esbit system
Platypus soft sided bottle
Platypus gravity filter system

*Walmart/Target:*
9" inseam synthetic boxer briefs

*ADZPCTKO:*
Zpacks Hexamid Solo with groundsheet poncho
ULA Circuit backpack
Gossamer Gear LT4 trekking poles

Because Adventure 16 attends kickoff, the only stops that need to be made
are a grocery store for food, and Walmart/Target if you need to acquire 9"
inseam boxer briefs.

I hadn't been to Adventure 16 in a long time, and hadn't realized they
carried Western Mountaineering.  This made me think about how a system
could be built from scratch once in San Diego.  With all the other vendors
that support kick off, and the REI locations in town, it's easy to do this
while going UL.  There are many other items available locally and at
kickoff from the vendors that can fit well into a UL system.

So for those that are stressing about what gear to get as part of planning,
you may be able to wait until you get to San Diego.  You might even be able
to enlist a gear nut to help you build your system.  I'm sure there's a lot
of us that would get a kick out of shopping with your money. :)

Sir Mixalot