[pct-l] new hiker!

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:29:20 CST 2012

You've already done well by joining this mailing list.  One of the best
things you can do is get experience by going backpacking.  That will get
you in shape, toughen your feet and teach you about your gear.  Longer
trips are a good opportunity to adjust your diet and get used to eating
2-3x as much as you eat right now.  When you're not in the mountains, save
your money.  A through hike costs a lot of money, even if you only spend
your money on food.

Two good and very active websites you may want to join are
www.backpackinglight.com and www.whiteblaze.net.