[pct-l] New topic....back to hiking basics............

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:48:41 CST 2012

> ....  I'm looking for a GREAT breakfast that includes protein (yum,
> eggs!!!) and doesn't require me to buy one of those expensive, dehydrated
> packages.

Here's one idea for a high-protein breakfast.  My breakfast every day was
homemade granola.  I get 36 grams of protein (!) and 725 calories, with just
6.5 ounces of weight and 1.6 cups volume, at a cost of $1.07 (2007 WinCo
prices).

I start with 1 cup of homemade granola (3.3 oz) of rolled oats, honey,
sunflower seeds, and slivered almonds. I add 1/4 cup (2 ounces) raisons, and
1/2 cup (1.6 ounces) whole dry milk (Nido or Klim) powder to the granola.
That's triple strength on the milk - somewhere between cream and pudding,
and really yummy.

Easy to make ahead of time, easy to eat on the trail.  Worked for me.

Steady Sr